The alternate email address in Gmail refers to the backup verification of your Google Account for that email. It could be your current Gmail email address with Gmail or any other email service.
When creating a new gmail account it is requested to enter an alternate address in order to recover your account if gets messed up.
If you create your Google + account with the new gmail email it will ask you to verify your account first, that’s where you will be needing your email address for the required verification.
However, Gmail requires an alternate email address while signing up for an account. Your all recovery emails will be sent on the account you provide while the sign up process.
How to provide Alternate Email Address
While signing up for a Google Account you will be asked to enter your alternate email address. There you can add your any kind of email such as Yahoo, Hotmail or Outlook email for the confirmation and recovery process.
In case, you have lost your access to that alternate email address you can always change it in Gmail Settings page.
Steps to change your alternate Email Address:
- Head over to the Official Gmail Login page, https://myaccount.google.com/
- Login to your account using your current Email address OR username and then click on ‘Next‘, enter your password for the account in the next step and click on ‘Sign in‘.
- Go to your Personal info then click on Email option from there, Select Gmail Email Address.
- Click the pencil icon to edit the new alternate email address for the account then click on ‘Done‘.
- Google will ask you to enter your account password in order to change alternate Email address (Password Verification for the change).
- Once you entered your password, your alternate email address for the gmail.com account will be updated.